3 Insurances you should have in Germany

September 2, 2017
There are several kinds of insurance in Germany. Here are the top 3 that we consider really useful. It is optional to have them while living in Germany but can avoid headaches.

The “Privathaftpflichtversicherung”:

The “Privathaftpflichtversicherung” is a form of liability insurance. Its particular function is that the private person and her/his family will be covered for any type of unintentionally caused damage they might cause. Liability insurance covers all the typical risks of everyday life. You might hit a window unintentionally, your kid might stumble over some box full of porcelain that your neighbor left in the staircase, etc.

The “Hausratsversicherung”:

The Hausratsversicherung is insurance coverage for any damage that can occur to a rented or an owned flat. This means it primarily covers fire, water, storm, or burglary damage. Usually, it also covers the cleaning costs after such damage. If you use a computer or other items, they will also all be covered by it.

The “Rechtsschutzversicherung”:

The legal expenses insurance (Rechtsschutzversicherung) covers all costs that a legal conflict might cause. It will cover lawyer costs and the costs for the whole process, in case it needs to be paid. Commonly, one is covered up to the amount of 250.000 Euro. This insurance also covers the legal partner and kids. You can find many different providers for insurance, all with similar prices. We would recommend you to try and get all insurance covered by one same provider. This makes things a lot easier.

*cover foto: Photo by Marija Zaric on Unsplash

See more about these topics:
Share this article:


We are your unofficial guide in Munich!
Moving to a new country or city is a big adventure and a challenge. Your new social life is essential to feel comfortable there. We made a website where you can find information to help you understand the culture and where to meet friends offline, so it is easier to make Munich your new home.
Follow us:

Read more: